Thursday, March 15, 2012

3-15-12 – Kinoria Church, Meru, Kenya, Day 2 of our Clinic

Another beautiful day in Kenya. The road to this church was long and incredibly bumpy. I really can’t imagine how they do it in the rainy season. And the people who come to our clinics are all walking, except for a very rare motorcycle. No cars. Not one. In fact, one centenarian was delivered to us via wheelbarrow (a photo I’m very, very sorry I didn’t get, although I do have photos of her). They travel great distances to see us. There are no subdivisions, just small, random plots of land that they use for farming a little bit. Our host mother, Catherine, also has sheep and a man who comes in the mornings to take them to graze somewhere and brings them back at night.

CSC_0123DSC_0006DSC_0008DSC_0009DSC_0017DSC_0066DSC_0110DSC_0127

The one memorable thing for me this day was my new friend, Purity. She was a real sweetheart; 13 years old, gentle and kind. She sort of followed me around for a bit, then brought her friends to meet me. Purity even wanted my phone number so she can call me in the states. Smile

DSC_0163

Right now we are traveling to Meru, which is on the other side of Mt. Kenya. It’s on the windward side of the mountain so it is much greener and quite lush. They grow tea, coffee, bananas, mangos, avocados, arrowroot, just about anything you can think of. Rev. Kaburu’s mother lives here and we will eat lunch with her. Newton is also from somewhere along our route. We bought big straw baskets for 100 Ksh each – they might be my best African purchase!

No comments: